A promise in May of a cost-of-living rebate on Queenslanders’ “next energy bill” may now not come until November, after the state government clarified the timeline while dismissing opposition claims of a delay.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Wednesday morning the government’s previously announced $175 rebate would appear on energy bills between now and November.
Opposition energy spokesman Pat Weir said the scheme had been announced in May but not organised.
“Many Queenslanders would have adjusted their budgets for a rebate that never arrived,” he said.
Minister Mick de Brenni insisted during an estimates hearing this month that no promises had been broken in the rollout.
“Households will start to see the rebate applied to bills from electricity retailers from August 31,” he told the hearing. “That has always been clear in the materials that we have provided. The media has been clear around that and retailers have been clear around that in their communications.”
The May 26 rebate announcement stated that residents would receive the “$175 cost-of-living rebate on their next power bill” after the government decided to top up an initial $50 discount announced in February – slated for “later this year” – due to rising household budget pressures.
South Brisbane Greens MP Amy MacMahon said the rebate, which providers would apply as an automatic credit to power bills, needed to happen urgently.