“This made it unsafe and impossible for council officers to get to some areas and erect temporary Road Closed signs,” Schrinner said.
“By using this automated sign technology, we will be able to close and actively monitor these flooded roads, which is a great step forward.”
The February 2022 flood inundated 20,000 properties in 3000 streets across 177 suburbs.
The next three signs will be installed at Gap Creek Road, Kenmore Hills, at Bowen Parade in Bardon and Lucy Street, Moorooka.
The first signs are partly funded by a $99,000 federal government payment and the council will spend $500,000 installing 12 additional signs across Brisbane by the end of the year.
Brisbane Civic Cabinet Chair for Infrastructure Andrew Wines, who is managing Brisbane City Council’s flood response, said the council would identify new locations, prioritising where there is a history of flooding and where motorists drive into floodwater.
The council’s opposition leader, Jared Cassidy, criticised the council for not meeting its own flood recovery timelines.
He said 12 of the 37 recommendations from de Jersey’s report that were due at the end of August were not met.
“Today we are six months out from the devastating February 2022 floods and Adrian Schrinner and his LNP administration have left our city unprepared for another flood.”
He questioned why no announcements had been made about new locations to obtain sandbags or new suburban evacuation centres.
A public relations campaign was announced on Wednesday with prizes offered to encourage residents to take up the council’s new warning service, Brisbane Severe Weather Alert.
About 15 per cent of Brisbane residents had signed up to the older warning service, de Jersey reported.